Sunday, September 25, 2011

Food: My First Ever Attempt at Baking

Best Blogger Tips

I am happy to say i was successfully able to bake my first ever batch of brownies! Well ok, so i had a little help from Betty Crocker but 90% of the effort was really all me. haha. 

Everybody knows i looove to cook. Hubby thinks i make the meanest adobo, spicy prawns, lasagna and kaldereta. I cook more by taste than by measurement. This is why if you ask me for recipes, i would most probably only give you a rundown of the different ingredients used, without the measurements. It is because of this inability to follow accurate measurements that I DON'T, and am not able to bake. 

It is that time of the month again when i get all hormonal and start craving for sweets, to the point where i even dream about it. Just yesterday, during my afternoon nap, I dreamt i was being chased by cupcakes. So today, when the cravings started kicking in again, i was frantically looking for something sweet to eat or cook all over the house. I was really craving for cupcakes (from the dream i had last night), but this was something i could not have immediately, and i wanted something, anything, sweet ASAP. 

I was already bent on making Caramelized Plantains with Vanilla, or more locally known as Minatamis na Saging... I just wanted to give the name of the dish a bit more flair (an after effect of watching too much Master Chef). So again, i was already bent on making minatamis na saging and as i was scouring our pantry for vanilla essence, there it was, in all its glory, a box of Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie mix. 





I don't recall me or hubby buying this so just to make it sure it wasn't bought 4 years ago and is probably already expired, i made sure to double check on the expiration date. Thankfully, the mix won't expire until December 2011. Perfect! Except that i don't bake.... The instruction at the back of the box was pretty straight forward and seemed easy to do though: 



I figured, if i am able to successfully make lasagna, this would be a breeze to do. Besides, the instruction simply said, Heat, Stir and Bake! Because i am terrible at following exact measurements, i did not even attempt to do so with these brownies, this is apart from the fact that i do not own any piece of measuring tool in my kitchen. Unbelievable? Believe it. So again, i went with gut feel and just estimated how 1/4 or 2/3 of a cup would look like. I know this is a cardinal sin in baking but who would mind really? My stomach sure wont. I was not able to take a picture of the brownie mixture after i stirred all the ingredients together because i just got so psyched with the possibility of my first baking attempt being a success. Was it? You be the judge... 







Betty Crocker is a miracle from heaven! The brownies came out really chewy and very very chocolaty! Yum! A definite sweet fix for my cravings. A box of this mix is really cheap, only about P150++ And it's SUPER easy to do, i can probably make this again blindfolded!

Will i repurchase? Definitely YES! Will this make me reconsider baking? Definitely NO. I'll stick to pre-packaged mixes, thank you. This is only what my very limited skills at baking would allow me to do. 


So my first attempt at baking? A definite success! I sure deserve brownie points for this....


Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening loves!








1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!